Happy Friday, everyone!
Now that I’m settling fully into my school routine, I’ve found myself baking muffins even more frequently than usual. When I can make healthy, fruit-or-veggie-filled versions at home, they’re the perfect thing to grab for breakfast on my way out the door or bring as a snack to eat between classes.
Since I love coconut, I was really excited to see this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs Two Peas & Their Pod for coconut zucchini bread. One look at the delectable photos was all it took to convince me I needed to try it out myself! I tweaked it to make coconut zucchini muffins. Here’s my take:
coconut zucchini muffins
– 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1 & 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (squeezed and drained in a paper towel)
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt at room temperature
– 1 large egg, at room temperature
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a muffin tin with papers and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In a separate large bowl, combine shredded zucchini, sugar, applesauce, yogurt, egg, and vanilla extract.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Stir in the shredded coconut.
5. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. I also sprinkled some extra cinnamon on top of each muffin about 10 minutes into the baking time.
These turned out great! Delicious and healthy, a perfect breakfast or snack or even dessert.
Have a wonderful day! Happy baking!
-Time spent: about 1 hour, including bake time
-Cost: less than $5.00
If you liked this recipe, you might also enjoy this recipe for chocolate spice zucchini muffins!