Sorry I’ve been MIA the past week … I strained my hand from overuse of the computer, so I had to take some time completely computer-free. (It’s crazy how much I use the computer in my daily life — writing, blogging, checking email — I didn’t know what to do with myself without it!)
My hands are feeling better, and today I have another delicious & healthy recipe to share with you, courtesy of my amazing mom!
- 1 package ground turkey meat
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 package of whole wheat tortillas
- 1 can enchilada sauce (I like the La Victoria brand, mild)
- a few handfuls of shredded cheese
1. Brown the ground turkey in a pan on medium heat. While the turkey is cooking, dice the onion.
2. Drain the fat from the turkey. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
3. Open can of enchilada sauce and pour about 1/3 of the can into a glass baking dish (I used a 10 x 13 size) so it covers the bottom.
4. Hold one tortilla in your hand. Scoop in some of the ground turkey mixture, a spoonful of enchilada sauce, and a bit of shredded cheese. Roll the tortilla closed and place in the baking dish. Repeat until all the ground turkey is gone. (I usually make 5-6 enchiladas.)
5. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and spread with a spoon until all parts of the tortilla are covered. Sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes in an oven set to 350 degrees.
And there you go! I served mine with green beans and a fresh garden salad. This recipe served my whole family with two extra enchiladas left over for lunch the next day! Yummy, healthy, easy and inexpensive — what more can you ask for in a meal?
Time: 30-40 minutes (including bake time)